Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. I think I like it so much because it doesn't involve gift-giving. It's a reason to be with friends and family without the false pretentions of being obligated to give someone a gift they don't need. However, I noticed some things this year that have changed. The family randomly gathered around my mother-in-law's table to fill a plate of the usual fare, but it just wasn't the same. Some of us sat in the living room, some in the basement and of course some at the small dining table. In the past, the whole family gathered at the table and someone said grace. That was left out this year.

I'm in a very different state of mind lately, so I feel awkward even sitting at the table with my wife's family. So I was not in position to say grace. Maybe I should have. Someone should have. It's sad that things change, people change and traditions change. Traditions should not change, or else they aren't traditions. We all used to get to the in-laws house early, sit and visit until dinner and then play games or just share some laughs together. That doesn't happen anymore. Now, everyone shows up just in time to fill their plate, spew some meaningless conversation, hang around long enough to stuff some dessert down and out we all go. What could cause a family to get to this point? Maybe it's just me, but I've thought this for a while now.

I did have a pretty good weekend though. We spent some time with friends. Drank some bourbon, watched some football and did nothing. It wasn't the same as Thanksgivings in the past. Nothing is the same anymore. Things may never be the same again. I guess that's life.

Thank you Lord for all that you have blessed us with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home