Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I was on a walk last night, and I started thinking about how many times I'd walked these streets. When you live in one town for so long, things become very familiar. Maybe too familiar. I was away from this little town for 4 or 5 years in my early twenties, but other than that I've spent my life walking, running, biking or driving these streets. I recalled walks to and from school, and the walks to the theater on Saturday afternoons when I was only 5 years old. It makes me realize how simple life was then. Parents wouldn't consider letting a young child walk around town like that today. What a shame. The youth of today are being robbed of some very special moments by our society.

As I walked, I also thought that I may have missed out on something. My life in Sioux town has been great, but, I could've experienced so much more. I could've lived anywhere in the world. It may not have made any difference. Would I be the same guy? I'm sure millions of people think this way. It appears to me that most people spend their lives within a short distance of their birth place. It makes sense to live where you are the most comfortable. Hey, someone out there is probably thinking, I wish I would've lived in Sioux town...nah!

As a result of my life-long residency, I have made life-long friends. This is the thing that has kept me here for all of these years. I've been with the same woman for almost 33 years. I have friends that I went to first grade with. I hang with 3 generations in certain families. Now my children and grandchildren are part of this brotherhood. It is comforting to know that other people are looking out for your family members as well. It has taken almost 50 years to create this life, and all of these streets, buildings and most importantly the people are part of it. I look forward to adding to my life for the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home