Monday, October 13, 2008

Hello. Now that I've had some time to reflect on Riverssance, I've realized one of the attractions. It is the opportunity for people to wear an unusual costume and take on a new personality for a few days. I've met some of the characters outside of the Kingdom walls and many of them are very passive and withdrawn. It's interesting that behind a mask some people feel more comfortable letting their real personality shine.

I believe it's the reason some people get tattoos and piercings or join in the goth thing. It is a way for them to "create" an identity. They don't believe in themselves, so they become someone else. I think we all become someone else at times. We all need to realize the person we unleash while hiding behind a freaky haircut or strange clothes, is inside all the time. We just have to feel comfortable in our own skin...after all it's all we have. Learning this can be difficult, but when we do, life will be better.

I began to discover who I was at the age of 18, when I moved to Omaha. Nobody knew me. There were no pre-conceived notions of me. The people I met didn't know my family, the schools I went to, the trials I had growing up. I had a blank canvas to paint a picture of me. I didn't have to put up any defenses. So I did what felt good. I haven't stopped doing that since. For the most part, it's worked out OK.

5 Comments:

Blogger katrocket said...

I think you've touched on one of the reasons I love Hallowe'en so much - a chance to dress up and be someone more fun than me for one night.

Mon Oct 13, 05:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

I went to Riverssance dressed like a hippie with a camera.

I used to do a lot of theater, and I've played in bands for years... Yet I'm horribly uncomfortable speaking in public. You'd think after so many years on a stage it would come easily to me, but it's not the case. I think the reason is fairly simple -- when I'm in theater, I'm not me. I'm the character. If people don't like what's happening on the stage, it's not ME they're criticizing, it's the character I'm portraying. When I'm on stage with the band, I'm playing yet another role, one I know well. If I have to speak in public, the script isn't written for me, the role isn't defined. It's just lil' ol' me.

Playing a role, hiding behind a mask, it's a freeing experience -- yet it hinders us from showing our true selves and being judged on our own merits. It's interesting.

Riverssance was fun! I wish I could have gone back that Sunday.

Tue Oct 14, 07:30:00 AM

 
Blogger Bluzlover said...

Kat, how would you have to dress up in order to be more fun than you normally are?

Tue Oct 14, 09:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Bluzlover said...

Chris, I think people are showing their true selves while hiding behind a mask. It is just part of their personality they aren't comfortable with yet.

Tue Oct 14, 09:27:00 AM

 
Blogger katrocket said...

It's an annual challenge, my friend.

Hey, you and Chris are both Canada contest winners!

Wed Oct 15, 01:40:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home