Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hello. Chirping birds, popping dandelions and backhoes...a view from the kitchen table.

Last Saturday, we made a trip to the Evelyn Larson Theater, a small, midtown storefront-turned-theater operated by Shot in the Dark Productions. The evening began with a tasty stuffed chicken dinner, a bottle of Merlot, which we brought with us, and a view of the locals wandering on the city sidewalk. As we licked up the last drop of Merlot, the director signaled for everyone to enter the black box. In the darkness of the small, musty room, I was taken away from Sioux City. It had a feel unlike anything I've experienced in town. The play is a Frank McGuinness piece called "Someone Who'll Watch Over Me." The entire production takes place on a one set stage, a Lebanese prison cell. It is a study of an Englishman, an Irishman and an American, chained to a prison wall by radical Arab captors. I was surprised at the talent of these actors. They did a fine job with the heavy dialogue and the range of emotions they portrayed.

It's cool that some local folks are practicing their love of theater and producing a show like this. I'm all for it! I have been trying to enlighten the fine citizens of this cowtown for over a decade, so I know the struggles they face. I'm convinced that you have to find a way to satisfy your dream without draining the wallet. Unfortunately I've drained the wallet more than once trying to realize the dream. But, I say continue trying my friends. Seeing a room full of people... or just a handful of people with joy on their faces is worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home