Thursday, June 21, 2007

A couple of nights ago, I went for a walk with my 2 and half year old grandson. We watched some little boys playing baseball, played on the jungle gym and had a great time. As he and I were walking across a baseball field heading home, he started to run ahead of me and began doing somersaults. Not one, but one after another, after another, after another. It was a wonderful thing to watch. He had a huge smile exploding on his face. We all need to keep more of that love of life. It's a shame that as every year goes by, we lose a little more love of life. We forget how to enjoy life. We become afraid to express ourselves... like the chalk thing.

Life becomes complicated. People put expectations on us. Our parents and teachers tell us how we "should" act. Our boss tells how we can dress. The government tries to protect us from ourselves. Society strips us of our child-like love of life. Who decided that childish behavior is a bad thing? I realize that we have to learn right from wrong, but what's wrong with an armpit fart to lighten up a board room meeting? What would be wrong with an office full of people dressed in whatever clothes they like, going outside on a sunny afternoon, laying on their backs in the grass and simply gazing into the sky?

Maybe someday, not in my lifetime, but someday society will realize that we are making a big mistake by taking away that pure love. If everyone around the world loved life, simplified their happiness and stopped trying to make others fall in line with what they believe, we could all get along.

I think I'll go out and do a few somersaults and then just lie on my back and think.

1 Comments:

Blogger PatioPatty said...

I watched my 3 year-old granddaughter do the same thing once. She saw the look on my face and said, "What?" I said, "I just wish I were 3 again sometimes." Her response: "Well then, B3!" ... and continued on with playing, rolling on the grass and giggling like a schoolgirl. It was a simple solution to her. The logic of the little ones prevails, and we should pay more attention! B3 !!!

Sat Jul 07, 08:31:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home