Thursday, June 28, 2007

What is love? There doesn't appear to be any one meaning that we can agree on. If you look on the internet, the "experts" have very different ideas on what it means. Is the love for pizza the same as the love for your grandma or your "lover"? Of course not. If you lose a piece of pizza you are not truly heartbroken. And most normal thinking people don't "love" their grandma like their lover. One expert suggest that there are different phases of love. Young love is exciting and passionate. Raising children with a common belief is love. Dealing with the trials and tribulations of life together is love.

Last night a good friend of mine said that "love is a decision." I've never thought of it that way. He suggests that you decide to love someone. It seems to me that you would have to have something in common before you decide to love someone. I guess you could decide after you've spent time sharing thoughts and feelings. I think love is something that "happens" between people. He may be saying that once you decide to love someone you can nurture the relationship until it becomes love.

Do you automatically love your parents, your siblings, your children? I think at some point, in the beginning, the middle or for eternity, a person loves their spouse. I know of people who have grown to hate their family members. What a shame. I may love one of my sisters more than the other, but I still love them both. It is just assumed that you'll love your family members.

I think feeling comfortable enough to say anything to a person is love. I think being able to be yourself around someone is love. Even though I'm not always honest, I think honesty is an important part of love. So if you tell a lie or act "fake" can you still be in love?

I'm sure I'll have more to say on this. I am interested to hear what you think.

"all you need is love, all you need is love, love..."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like the explanation of love in the Bible myself, but my roommate in college put it best..."Love is a long and slender thing!"

Thu Jul 05, 09:04:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home