Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I've been thinking about the media lately. We all know how controlling it is. The media's power comes from the general public having an eagerness to believe it. I have always been skeptical of the media. I don't believe everything I see or hear in the media. In fact I believe many media reports have been released over the years to create fear and confusion. If you think about it, many people have more blind faith in the media than their religion of choice. That being said, I sat in church last Sunday and thought, this is nothing more than a form of media. In fact religion might be one of the best marketing campaigns ever. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe in God. Maybe not exactly like God is portrayed in the Bible, but I do believe in a higher power. I don't want to get on a religious slant here, so I'll move on.

If you look back over recent history, there are some questionable media events. Did we really have someone on the moon? Are the Palestinians the bad guys, or poor settlers being lorded over by the Israelis? Was Reagan really shot or just a president in need of an approval boost? Was there an oil shortage in the late 70's? Was Saddam Hussein killing innocent people or did our president need to push us over to his side on the war? Does anyone know what's going on in the Rain Forest? Is the Antarctic melting? I don't know the answers to these questions, but, I do know that the government controlled media made us believe all of these things to be truths.

If we'll believe things of this magnitude, getting us to cheer for a particular team, or vote for a certain candidate is easy. We all need to do our own research. Television and radio commercials are not a reliable source of information. But we are lazy. I don't go to many political rallies or post-game press conferences. I don't read the label on products I buy, and if I do I don't understand them. Let's not give in to the hype. Let's have our own thoughts. Say "NO" to the media. Don't be the strongest link in the media, word of mouth. Believe in yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home