Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My father, rest his soul, always said, "you will have to do things in your life that you don't want to do." I've repeated that statement to myself and others many times. This has been a standard with my kids for years. This message is one of the bricks in my house of life. It has guided me through some tough decisions.

Lately, for the first time in my life I find myself questioning the logic behind this statement. It makes perfect sense for a 3 year-old who should try eating the peas on his plate. It makes sense for the 12 year-old who should finish mowing the lawn before going fishing with his buddies. It even makes sense for the 20 year-old who should show up for work at his new job, even though he got drunk the night before. Does it make sense for the 50 year-old who should continue working a job he really doesn't enjoy? Did it ever really make sense?

It's a shame that we get caught in the trap of life. It makes me realize how important every decision we make in our life is. One wrong move, or worse, two or three wrong moves, and your dreams can fly right out the window. Now all you can do is stare out that window and watch those dreams float safely out of your reach.

This is why I want to make sure that the decisions I make from here on in to the finish line are the right decisions. I'm not ready to give up on my dreams. I need to sit myself down and plan to make my dreams come true. Every step is critical. I don't have time to start over too many more times. But, I do have one more time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home