Monday, January 07, 2008

I was visiting with a friend on NYE and we began fondly reminiscing about some of the drum circles we had joined in. They are wonderful! If you've never sat around a large drum with several people armed with "beaters", you haven't lived. It is an eye-opening...no, a soul-opening experience. I have sat with strangers, and we hugged afterwards. I had the joy of sharing rhythms with a young lady in our group and it was so cool to see the light in her eyes when the last beat fell. She thought we were crazy at the onset, but felt the rhythm shared by the group and truly understood. The best "sessions" have been with good friends. You can feel each other. You can learn about each other. Regardless of who you sit with, you'll know them better when you're done. You'll feel closer to them after sharing a rhythm.

I want to get a drum. There are many times that it would be the perfect way to spend time with people I meet. I've written previously about sharing colored chalk drawings on the sidewalk, which is a great way to know people. http://bluesislife.blogspot.com/2007/06/saturday-night-we-invited-couple-of.html The drum is different. It's like talking to each other without saying a word. I think I'd like to drum alone some time. I'd like to hear what my rhythms have to say to me.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home