Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My arms and shoulders still ache from digging a small grave Friday for a cat friend of mine. I misplaced my shovel so I used a post hole digger to dig the final resting place for the bones of Black Cat, aka Jasmine. You see, this cat was only staying at our house until our son could find a place to live that allows pets. This began a little over a year ago. For the first 6 months or so, this big black cat had nothing to do with me. Most cats are like that. They generally don't have time for humans, or other animals for that matter. Then one night when I was stretched out in my recliner, feeling kind of down, she jumped on the arm of the chair and cut into my heart with her beautiful green eyes. From that moment on, we seemed to have a connection.

It was weird. She knew when to come around and when to stay away. She never became a bother. Her eyes just drew me in. Those beautiful green eyes were mesmerizing. I've never seen an animal that would stare into your eyes like this cat. I'll miss her. I wrapped Black Cat in a towel and lowered her into the cold hard ground. I cried.

We still have two cats hanging around the house. One is a litter-mate to Black Cat and the other is from the same mama cat but a different litter. They have been left here until our son and daughter can take them with them. I hope neither of them become friendly with me. I'm tired of burying my emotions.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

About seven years ago I found myself at the Humane Society, staring into the trusting eyes of a tiny, tiny kitten, thinking, "This is gonna suck when I have to bury you." He's been my pal and boon companion ever since, and it's truly gonna suck when the time comes that I have to bury him, but that time will come, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Pets give us great joy, but we tend to outlive them, unfortunately. One of the gifts they give us is learning how to deal with death and sorrow. It's never easy.

Fri Dec 14, 06:35:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home