Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy Wednesday everyone, and welcome to 2008! Remember the eve of 2000 when we all thought the world as we know it was going to change forever? Boy were we hood-winked. Millions of dollars were spent in preparation for... uh... nothing as it turned out. Now, here we are 8 years later, and things keep changing as slowly as ever.

We went to a couple of house parties on New Year's Eve. People's enthusiasm is interesting. It's really just another day. It's cool that people have a new sense of being as the year changes. I've been very optimistic on December 31 for the last 3 years, only to realize that it's just another day. Nothing changed, except the date we write on checks. One of these years, things might actually be shockingly different. I was reminded this December 31, that things can always be worse. I'm very thankful for some of the things that happened in 2007. I'm also very disappointed in some of the events from 2007. I guess that's life.

I had a personal enlightenment in 2007 that keeps me awake nights trying to make sense of it. I got to know myself better and boy is that confusing. I realized that I'm not at all who I thought I was. A lady friend of ours was lamenting NYE night about her 19-year-old son. She says he's lonely, she things he's trying to find himself. For some reason, she questioned whether he is gay or not. I shared with her the fact that I'm 49, and still finding myself. I don't think that means I'm gay.

As we get older, every day, every month and certainly every year makes us more aware of our mortality. A good friend of mine tells us to give thanks every day. He's right. We need to give thanks everyday for the chance to start over. That's why I think NYE is just another day, with the promise of a new start.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home