Friday, February 01, 2008

My "sentence" for the DUI I received, required me to attend a Victim Impact Panel and Drunk Driving Class. I attended the drunk class last Saturday. I blogged about the VIP a while back. This class was much more useless. There were 12 unfortunate souls in this class forced to endure 7 hours of ramblings. The two instructors were reformed alcohol and drug users. I guess it makes sense to become a counselor when you decide you went too far. However, these two must have used far more than I. They were doing everything they could to stay focused on the teachings...and they had cheat sheets! It was incredibly boring. The behavior this lady talked about had no relevance to any of us. It appeared to me that all of this group were at the wrong place at the wrong time. One young guy blew a .086!!! But, the law is the law.

Then these mental giants started talking about other drugs. Why, I don't know. None of the group had drug charges. None the less, they found it appropriate to talk about everything from heroin to steroids. The lady instructor is from the Fremont Nebraska area. She was giving her opinions of smoking "weed", as she referred to it. She made the comment that a person who smokes, "can't be a good parent."

Well, about that time I had sat silent long enough. When I questioned her facts on this she mumbled something about, ..."well, in my area the facts show that, blah, blah, blah..." Now, I'm sure that a large percentage of the people who end up in front of this lady for treatment, do lack in parenting skills. But to say that anyone who smokes pot "can't" be a good parent is ridiculous. Some of the most supportive and loving parents I know smoke. In fact most of the problem parents I've known over the years don't smoke.

I came away from the class scratching my head, wondering what the point was. Oh, yeah, it was the 70 bucks I had to pay. I have learned a lesson, don't drink and drive. The consequences can be very expensive. It's going to get tougher. Some states have already dropped the BAC to .02!!! They call it zero tolerance. I'm sure it's a matter of time before the entire country follows suit. I'm glad I enjoy walking so much!

Have a great weekend, don't drink and drive!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

Thankfully there's a bicycle path I can get on just half a block from my house that will take me right close to downtown... Sadly, there's so much gang activity on said bicycle path that it's a VERY spooky ride home after midnight. Few times in my life have I wished to be armed; the bicycle path in Sioux City, Iowa is one of them.

My wife doesn't drink, so she usually carts my drunken @ss home, otherwise I bike it or call a cab. It wasn't always like that. There are times in my misbegotten youth that I wonder how I got home. I do remember walking past my car because your not supposed to drink and drive -- only to get on my motorcycle and take off... I'm glad I don't do that any more, but it really did take a mighty big shift in perspective a few yeas back for me to quit trying to drive myself home.

Regarding whacky weed -- in a perfect world, marijuana would be legal and cigarettes and liquor illegal. I've seen more lives damaged by alcohol abuse, and more people die of tobacco addiction... The interesting part is that I don't smoke.

Sun Feb 03, 12:34:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home