Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hello. I witnessed two human phenomenons last night...a parade and fireworks. What is it with people's desire to line a street waiting to be hit by candy and beads? It has never had much appeal to me. When our kids were young we took them to the local parades. I guess we wanted them to learn the art of survival of the fittest. You would swear that piece of stale candy thrown from a float, was the last crumb of sustenance on Earth. The entire downtown was swarming with people of all ages. It was hotter than hell! Once you've seen a small town marching band, a tractor and a clown you've pretty much seen it.

The fireworks launched on the riverfront about an hour after darkness had set in. I've seen several displays over the past couple of weeks. I enjoy a good sparkle of 4 or 5 thousand dollars as much as the next guy, but I can't believe how people clamor to see this stuff. You'd think it was the second coming. They fight for parking spots, push and shove to get the best view. Then they "oooh" and "ahhh" a little and go home. What little Chinese fella thought to himself, "These crazy people will pay anything to watch me blow shit up."

A little slice of heaven.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That last quote...I think it was George Bush who said that!

Fri Jul 18, 12:13:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home