Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hello. Welcome to Rainyday. I had an interesting discussion with a local wordsmith last night over a few wobblypops and some pie. This young man writes for the local entertainment rag and has had the duty of interviewing many performing artists. As he talked about his interviews for the upcoming music festival in Sioux Town, he made a comment that I found particularly interesting. He said, "The artists I've interviewed have attitudes inverse to their status in the industry. The bigger performers are really chill and the lesser-knowns cop an attitude with me." This newsman said he recently wanted to interview a local band for his paper and they rescheduled the interview several times and didn't have the "right" band members available for another attempt. He said it was easier scheduling an interview with a well-known member of the Grateful Dead.

Now, I have made this same comment about bands I've booked over the years. I have had more issues with local bands, than international touring acts. Most of the world renowned performers look at the gear you provide and say, "This is cool, let's rock." Many of them don't even do a sound check, unlike some of the up-and-comers who require hours of sound check and equipment changes.

I don't know the reason for this, but I have a theory. Perhaps all artists start out with an attitude and the successful ones realize that they won't make it very far being difficult. I guess none of us will make it very far being difficult.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

Interesting! I've noticed that same thing over the years in my interaction with other bands.

Years ago I was in a band that was particularly primadonna (though not pre-Madonna). I watched the lead singer go through all sorts of contortions to gain respect, trying to prove to the local community that the band was worth their attention. It was painful to watch, and I ended up scampering around behind him trying to ease bruised feelings and smooth ruffled feathers. It was embarrassing at times. The band really WAS good, and had we not been so prickly to work with probably would have gone somewhere... But no one wanted to deal with us after a few years and we ended up going our different ways. I never understood why we had such a chip on our shoulder.

I do, however, understand the sound-check! The "pro" or more seasoned bands are confident in their ability to pull off a gig under any circumstances, whilst the younger bands take their time to soundcheck extensively for fear that something unexpected may happen during the gig that would blow a song. (It takes a while to learn that blowing a song isn't the end of the world...) "It sounds different than it did in rehearsal!" is something I've wailed myself a few times. That's a sure sign that you're rehearsing too much and not gigging enough. The more you play, the more comfortable you are on any stage. I say that knowing full well I'm not at that point yet myself.

Mon Jun 30, 08:52:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home