Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hello and welcome to the day after RATSO. It's easy to become overwhelmed with "stuff". You offer to help with one thing and that turns into another and the next thing you know, you're waking up saying, "What the hell was I thinking." We are all different. Some people never get involved. They sit on the edge and watch the madness. I've never been able to do that. I always feel guilty when someone else is "making things happen" for the benefit of others. I get bored easily so I have to do something. When it gets to be too much I sit back, tell myself it will all be good and jump into something else. Sick, sick, sick.

Have you ever noticed that some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy. It's weird. Some people live to have controversy in their lives, even when it doesn't exist. I don't understand voluntarily going to a bar or restaurant and then bitching the whole time they are there. I stay away from people and places that I'm not comfortable with. There are enough things to be genuinely unhappy about, we don't need to add to the list.

I work on the Saturday in the Park committee and I've watched the main man over the last few years. This guy started the festival 18 years ago. It has become one of the largest and best festivals in the Midwest. The big kahuna keeps his fingers in all aspects of the event. It appears to piss some committee members off at times. I think he has the right to say and do whatever he wants. It's his "festival balls" that are on the line. When the civilians of Sioux Town take potshots at the festival, they are always addressed, "Mr. Bernstein". That's what comes with getting involved. The more involved you are, the more you are exposed to criticism. All you can hope for is that they remember your name when they have something good to say.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

Yeah, I sat on the sidelines for too many years. The past few years I've been involved, and even with all the crap that happens I love it.

I used to go to SITP every year, but for the last eight years or so I've stayed home. I'm not exactly sure why... I can't afford to sit in the beer garden, but I should still go anyway. It truly is a magnificent show! I do often wish they'd put more than one local act on the main stage every year. So those are my criticisms, such as they are -- beer's too expensive and I wanna see more local talent. But I rarely give voice to my gripes about SITP as the festival really is one of the best! Bernstein and the rest of y'all on the committee are doing a helluva job!

Thu May 29, 03:25:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home