Thursday, June 05, 2008

Hello, and welcome to Rainyday, otherwise known as Thursday or Golf League Day. Now, I'm not a huge golf fan, but I do enjoy riding around in the cart, drinking tequila and playing a little pasture pool. We started league in April and it's rained some every single night. So, I've decided to rename Thursday, Rainyday. I hope you're all cool with that.

On Tuesday, there was a big vote held in Union County, South Dakota which is about 6 or 7 miles from Sioux Town. The locals were deciding the fate of a 400,000-barrel-a-day oil refinery. The yes votes outnumbered the no votes to change the zoning for the 3,300 acre plot of land they want to build this thing. I understand the sentimental reasoning for voting no, but let's face it, this is a chance of a lifetime for a community. I can understand a 70-year-old farmer saying, "What do I care about economic development, I want my peace and quiet." But, long-term, this could be huge for our little piece of the world. It will be the largest building project in the U.S. for several years. Thanks to all of you who have the vision to vote yes for this deal. And for those who voted no, you made a valiant effort, but now stand aside and grin and bear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home