Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hello and welcome to a new day. Yesterday's gone, and the day before that and the month before that and the year before that...gone. The past is, well, the past. I think it would be great if we could flush the past away like a 7-Eleven burrito the morning after. But, it lingers around, giving us heartburn...and soulburn.

A friend of mine talks about living in the now, leaving the past behind. Well that's great in theory, but the past has a strong grip on us. We relish our past glory and cry over our past mistakes. It is said that you can learn from the past. You have to stop and think about the past in order to learn from it. I know people who live in the past...some in the distant past. Some people justify their "being" on things from the past. It doesn't matter who you were, who you are today is what matters.

I try not to dwell on the past. However, now and then the past creeps into my head, kicks me in the gut and laughs. The past has popped into my brain and made me smile big! I think the past deserves a friendly handshake and a pat on the back. Now, get outta here, I've got a new friend called today I want to spend time with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris the Hippie said...

You have some interesting phrases in there!

I had a furious argument with a friend in college back in the 80's about this topic... He told me if he trips over a tree root in his path and he just gets up and keeps on going. I told him that I'm the sort of guy who will pause for a few minutes whilst picking myself up to look back to see what tripped me, on the theory that I may run into such a situation again and I might wanna avoid it next time.

He told me not to dwell on the tree root, and I told him that you can learn from the past. I think we were both right, as long as neither is carried to an extreme.

Thu Oct 16, 05:09:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home