Monday, May 15, 2006

Another Monday. Back to reality. No, not reality. Back to trying to make a living. I often think the choices that I've made lately just aren't that good. Well, at least they aren't working out very well. My latest endeavor, the Chesterfield, was based solely on location. I've heard for years that the three most important things in business are location, location, location. If that's true, as good as this location appeared to be, it hasn't affected the business in a very positive way.

The basics of business are to provide a good product that there is a market for. I'm beginning to believe that there is no market for original live music in Sioux City, Iowa. We are providing this little town in western Iowa a selection of world class music like they've never heard before. We are giving the locals a chance to step their lives up. Even just a small amount. But they apparently are satisfied doing the same old things they've always done. I'm sure this attitude explains why Sioux City is smaller in population than it was in the late 1800's.

Less than a week ago, I thought that the music scene in this town might have made a breakthrough. But I fear it was too insignificant to have any lasting effect. A few of the die-hard music freaks will come out more than once every month or two, but not enough to actually start a music "scene". I may have to go back to enjoying the rare shows that make their way to a Sioux City stage and return to the road trips that satisfied my desire for original live music. The very near future will tell the tale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home