Friday, August 10, 2007

Where do I begin? I was at a friends party Saturday night that turned weird quick. It was late when we got to the party and we had a good buzz on, but the party was in high gear. There is a pool at this house, and there were a few drunks bobbing around in it like hard boiled eggs. We decided to test the water. A couple of drunks started jumping up and down on the slide and busted it up pretty bad. The worst culprit is a good buddy of the guy who was throwing the bash.

Well, my friend went crazy over the damage to his pool, rightfully so. But he aimed it at the wrong people. He ripped on his friend who broke the slide, but proceeded to really rage on everyone else in the area of the pool. I find it interesting that people will throw their anger at someone they don't mind offending rather than the real source of the problem. I've been guilty of this myself. I guess it's human nature to take the path of least resistance.

The fear of facing issues head on is in every one of us. I like to think that I'm a stand up guy. A guy who tells it like it is... confronts a problem head-on. Not... I've avoided dealing with the real issue many times just in the last few days. I'm weak. I read something recently that stated that you have to come to grips with yourself before you can make yourself all better. I'm beginning to think that is very true.

And now for something completely different...

Last night we had our Saturday in the Park committee wrap-up meeting/party. It was held at the Orpheum theater in Sioux City. This theater is beautiful. I would put it up against any theater in the world. Yes, in the world! It was restored to it's original 1927 beauty about 5 years ago. So here we are a random group of music fest volunteers. The man in charge, Dave Bernstein has certain privileges in the Orpheum that very few people have. By very few, I mean maybe one or two others would have these privileges. So the 20 or so of us stumble into the theater after an hour of drinking in the lounge. Iowa Public Television is broadcasting a feature they did on the Saturday in the Park festival. We are watching it on the high-def video system on a huge theater screen and listening through one of the best house PA systems in the country. It was incredible! We drank and cheered and reveled in what we had all been a part of. After the IPTV broadcast was over some of the faint at heart left the building and the party kicked up a notch. Dave hooked up his G5 Apple and played the entire Pink Floyd album "Wish you were here" to the synch of a random graphic generator. If you've ever watched anything like this on your 17" computer screen, imagine a 100' X 60' hi-def screen and a world class house PA, in a theater with wonderful acoustics! I was blown away! It was so cool to play with a few close music lovers in a theater like the Orpheum. What a memory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home