Friday, December 07, 2007

This week a young man walked into a mall in Omaha, Nebraska, pulled an AK47 from under his sweatshirt and opened fire. We live just 90 miles from Omaha, and have spent many hours wandering around the Westroads Mall. In fact, I've stood very near the spot this teenager stood firing round after round. When these things happen near you, in an area you are familiar with, it seems more real than when it happens 1800 miles away. I can relate to everything more.

What was this 19-year-old thinking? He left a note saying he wanted to be famous. What teenager wants to be famous for killing 8 innocent people? He killed himself, so it's not like he'll get to see himself blasted all over national news channels. I've been in some pretty messed up situations over the years, but I've never thought about killing anyone. It's hard for me to imagine what creeps into the head of a young guy like this. I don't know what this kid was dealing with. The media said his girlfriend dumped him and he lost his job at McDonalds. I certainly hope the victim's didn't lose their lives over these trivial events.

It is so sad. This would be a terrible way for your life to end, at the hands of some stranger having a bad life. No warning or time to prepare. Think of all the things these people may have left unsaid or undone. What was the last thing they said to a loved one? It really makes you think. If I died right now, with no warning, would I have any regrets? Hell yeah, I'd have some regrets. I think we all need to think about this. It makes me realize that I need to live my life like I'll be dead in a few minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home