Friday, February 08, 2008

Let's Get Lucid

Welcome to Friday. A friend of mine had a bottle of absinthe a couple of nights ago. Wow, that is a very different buzz. It's not like any liquor I've ever drank. There were quite a few of us sharing one bottle, so I didn't get to "really" put it to the test. I plan to however. The 2 or 3, or was it 4, drinks I had were very interesting. I really liked the "high". I didn't experience any of the hallucinations that are famous in absinthe lore, but it was fun!

Absinthe has only recently been legalized for distribution in the US. It's not widely available yet. This bottle of the "green fairy" came to us via New York City. According to the distiller's website, "Lucid", the brand we enjoyed, is considered one of the top 3 absinthe being made today. It was 124 proof! It has a very strong anise flavor with an earthy quality to it. We used the traditional method for everyone's first sample and then we started to experiment some with it. The traditional method is to put 1.5 - 2 ounces of the absinthe in a fluted glass, set a slotted spoon on top of the glass with a sugar cube on it. Then slowly dribble ice water into the glass, dissolving the sugar cube along the way. I felt so eclectic!

Many artists, writers and musicians of the late 1800s and early 1900s enjoyed many evenings of absinthe. They believed that it heightened their creativity and occasionally showered them with hallucinogenic experiences. I had a relatively small amount the other night, yet I was getting the urge to create. Maybe a novel or a beautiful ceiling mural. I really thought it was cool. We are planning more absinthe parties. There are 2 other main distillers in the US, and I think my group will try them both. Then we'll know which one we want to continue using.

Happy weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home