Friday, May 02, 2008

Hello and welcome to the weekend. Our son turned 25 years old yesterday. Our daughter turns 27 Tuesday. Wow, does that give you something to think about. I golfed with the boy last night and as I watched him, I thought, what's my little boy doing in this young man's body and mind. Funny isn't it, your children grow up to become "adults". They have their own opinions, they deal with situations in their own way. I guess all you can hope as a parent, is that you've influenced them in some positive way as they leave their path down life's dirt road.

The golf league we are in has an interesting mix of guys. Everything from late teens to early 70's in age. I've noticed that the young guys aren't the same animals that we were in our twenties. They are all hanging around the clubhouse watching the clock making statements like, "This better be my last one, I have to be home soon." Quite a few of the guys have their wives or girlfriends meet them in the clubhouse after they finish golfing. Hell, when we were their age, any talk of needing to be home didn't start until 1:00 or 2:00 am. Maybe this generation saw the damage when they were growing up, and have decided they don't want that in their lives.

I think it's for the best. Hopefully our country will be better with these young people making more stable decisions. I have often thought the younger generation is more of a "ME" society. But I'm realizing that some aspects of their lives are very "WE". Maybe it's their concern about themselves that drives them to do the "right thing".

I believe that our generation is a "WE" society, but sometimes that might not be a good thing. We may have been so concerned with doing what's right for the whole, that we overlooked what is right for the people close to us. I've never wanted to become too deeply involved in other people's lives. It seems like a way to keep things in the larger sense at peace. Maybe we're not a "WE" generation after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home