Friday, November 21, 2008

Hello. There were some young guys in the bar last night that helped make the hours go by and the tip jar more full. They were having a good time. Unlike some of their peers, they were respectful and courteous to everyone. They were pretty cool. I was surprised by some of the "old" tunes they chose on the jukebox...Tom Petty, the Beatles, even Frank Sinatra. Just young Midwestern guys hanging out, getting drunk. They also happened to be gay.

I have several friends who are gay. I was exposed to the lifestyle many years ago. I don't know if it was their age (the early twenties), or just where I'm at right now, but all kinds of thoughts filled my little brain. When did they realize they prefer men over women? Have they ever been with a woman? How difficult is their life? Are they happy? What do their parents think?

I think I know the answer to some of these questions because I know the attitudes of many people in America today. I only hope their parents love them unconditionally. They seem like good kids. Maybe a little rebellious. One of them started to bash his mother, but stopped short, out of respect for us. I caught a glimpse of pain in his face. But a sip of vodka and a long drag off his cigarette conjured up a bright smile again. We enjoyed talking and drinking with these kids into the early morning hours. I hope they enjoyed our company as well. I'd like the opportunity to ask them for answers to some of my questions. Maybe the right time will come.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home