Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hello. I've been reading a book called "Leadership and Self-Deception... getting out of the box". The book reads more like a textbook than a novel, but it did make me think. The focus of the book is on improving your leadership skills, but it hits me differently. I think it is more of a "life survival" book. I think the author is simply saying, "don't blame others or your surroundings for the state your in." Look yourself in the face and admit that you are the problem. Initially, I was the only one in our study group that saw it this way, but after some discussion, several of the members were seeing it from my perspective. The others apparently can't be that honest with themselves.

I like the direction its given me. It falls in line with many of the thoughts I've had over the past year. Look at yourself...closely. It's convenient to blame our habits on the actions of others. Convenient, but wrong! I like the idea of being in control of me. Why go on believing that you can't reach a goal because of outside influences? The author suggests that we justify our shortcomings by pointing out the shortcomings of others. This is such a downward spiral. Not only are you deceiving yourself, but you drag another person into the mire. Leave them out of it. Make positive choices of your own.

The change you make in yourself, will change those around you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home