Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hello. Christmas is crashing down on us. In the blink of an eye, all of the flashy displays, retail attacks on our senses and the violent shopping will come to an end. All of this to celebrate the birth of a baby in the desert a couple of thousand years ago...or so the story goes. Last night as I browsed the meaningless channels sucked in by the dish hanging from our house, a description of an upcoming program read "...the fables of Jesus birth." By definition the word fable means, "a fabrication; a short moral story (often with animals); legend, a story about mythical or supernatural beings or events." Think about it, that makes some sense.

I dislike the idea of buying gifts for people just for the sake of buying gifts. Who decided that we "owe" each other gifts at Christmas? Shouldn't we always express our feelings to the people we love or respect. After I shipped out gifts to my clients, I thought, "What the hell am I doing?" I thank them on a regular basis for their business. Does a box of chocolates and mixed nuts really mean something? I'm sure that none of the "herd" stuffing their faces in the break room at our office, give a second thought to the birth of Christ while they fill their pie-holes with the goodies left by our vendors.

I think we need to choose another day of the year to say, "thanks for being my family, friend, boss, client, mailman, hairdresser, hooker, pimp, etc." All of this tends to distract us from looking into our hearts and souls, searching for the real meaning of Christmas...whatever that may be in your world.

Peace

1 Comments:

Blogger katrocket said...

Amen, brother.

I don't even believe in Jebus, but I still feel the pressure.

for what it's worth, I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks for reading, Bluz!

-- Katrocket

Tue Dec 23, 01:16:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home