Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I think about writing in my blog every now and then. I just don't take the time to do it. I am still trying to find my way into the future. I am currently focused on the near future, the distant future seems of no consequence at this point in time. I have to get a handle on the immediate future then start thinking long term. I've never planned for the long term. I probably should have, but it never seems to have any relevance. Some people worry their entire life about their retirement, their long term security...what if you don't make it that long. You will have worried all those years for nothing. I guess that's my way of thinking. I live in the here and now. Sometimes it comes back to bite me. Oh well, I think it is the reason that I don't have grey hair.

I'm trying to separate my working lives, graphics and live music. So far, I've done a pretty good job of keeping them apart. Every now and then one doesn't leave the other alone. Then I have to remind myself that they don't play well together. I realized recently that I need the graphics thing to support my terrible live music addiction. It's obvious the live music won't support itself... crap! Does everyone promoting live music suffer from this same problem? Do they all have other means of earning music money? Most of the people I know in the game do. What a great thing it would be if all a guy had to do was deal with agents and artists, witness the best live music shows on the planet and water down a little Jim Beam now and again. Hallelujah! Hey, at least I do get to experience that way of life.

I had a real setback Saturday. James Solberg, a veteran bluesman, was filling the Chesterfield with smooth guitar and unique vocals. This talented musician fills clubs around the country on a regular basis. Yet on a Saturday night in Sioux City, Iowa he played for an adoring crowd of about 50 dedicated music lovers...50! That's less than 1/2 of a percent of the drinking population in this area. This amazes me. For over 20 years I've heard people say..."there's nothing to do around here"..."this town sucks, there's no place to go and party"..."oh sure, Omaha gets that show." The comments are endless, yet these same people don't take advantage of what IS in town.

Well, I guess I'll continue on the crusade with my merry little band of music lovers. Keep the faith, we might enjoy a true live music scene in Sioux City in this lifetime.PEACE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home