Friday, September 07, 2007

I've been slacking! Since my last post I've been on quite a ride. I spent a couple of nights away from home, one of them not by my choice. I've been to 2 weddings and had the worst stomach virus known to mankind. Not bad for 10 days out!

I was arrested for drunk driving, hence the night out involuntarily. The odds finally caught up with me. I started drinking over 30 years ago, so I guess I have flirted with the law long enough. As I layed on the concrete shelf in the jail cell I realized that I had driven over the limit well over 1,000 times in those 30 years. I'm not in favor of "drunk" driving. If you're driving down the sidewalk, running stop signs and slamming into parked cars, you should be arrested. But, I also don't believe that .08 (the legal blood alcohol limit) has any relationship to a persons ability to drive a vehicle. But, I have always believed that if you're going to dance you should be prepared to pay the fiddler. I managed to fall asleep briefly in my cell, and woke up with the Elton John song "Someone saved my life toinght..." playing in my head. Hmmm, is there a deep meaning to this, or was it more of my punishment to wake up to one of Elton's weakest efforts.

My son got married 1 hour after I got out of jail Friday morning. He has been living with this young lady for several years. I am very happy to have her as a legally bound part of our family. The service was in front of a magistrate, and only my wife, our daughter and I were there. And for some reason, I guess because it's been the four of us together through life for over 24 years, it seemed fitting that is how we welcomed the first newcomer into the clan, just the four of us. You could feel the love and it was beautiful.

We attended another wedding the next day between friends of ours who met at the Attic. It was very cool! The service was in their back yard in a very casual setting, I loved it. What a contrast in love, first 2 young people exchanging vows for the first time and then a couple in their 50's exchanging vows for the second time. I thought you could feel a difference between the two services. My son and his new bride cried with joy. My friends laughed and headed for the beer tank. Love is like art, it's beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home