Thursday, September 20, 2007

Well, I've been out of town for a few days, I spent some time in Rochester, Minnesota. I went there for some graphics software training. There was a time several years ago that I lapped that stuff up like a thirsty dog, but now, I could barely stand to sit in the training room for more than an hour at a time. I don't work hands-on with the Mac much anymore so I guess I just don't have the interest. Still, the advancements in the technology are pretty damn amazing. However, I think I could get back into the electronic world fairly easily still. I've been playing with that idea lately, do I dive in again and start designing, or just walk away from the madness that has cursed the design world as much as it has many other skilled trades. It's a tough decision. Graphic design and print is all I've known for over 27 years, so I might have to give it another chance.

I really like Rochester. It's so cool for a small town. Hell, it's smaller than Sioux Town, but way more happening. I think the international influence as a result of the Mayo Clinic gives the city a real metropolitan feel. It's full of hip bars and restaurants, a very active downtown and a couple of cool live music venues. Of course the music appeals to me. We went to one of my favorite watering holes, the Redwood Room while we were in town. They generally have some kind of acoustic thing going on. The night we wandered in, a jazz based duo was performing. They had a very nice sound going on, and the martinis were sinfully good. A client of mine got me started on martinis while in Rochester, so it's the thing to do. You know, when in Rome...

Rochester has a weird side to it. As you know, it's home to the Mayo Clinic, one of the largest and most respected medical facilities in the world. This brings a number of unique elements to the community. Medical experts from around the world, as well as people battling a wide variety of illnesses, make up the majority of the population. A friend of mine who works at the Clinic told me they employ over 30,000 people!! So, you might be sitting in a very cool bar enjoying some great blues music and look around to see an East Indian man in scrubs and his scarf-wearing wife, and look across the room to see a guy in a wheel chair with IV hookups at the ready. It's weird, but I really like Rochester.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You're just like me. You want to get the hell out of town! Rochester sounds like fun, but can you do without your friends? Are you ready to start a new life? Leave your kids and grandkids? Maybe they;ll follow you, they certainly could. I don't have the guts, personally. We have the same dream Brent, and I doubt if we'll ever be happy. The grass is greener, but the weeds are a bitch! GB

Fri Sep 21, 12:33:00 AM

 
Blogger Jane said...

The grass is greener where you water it - right Chase?

Fri Sep 21, 10:31:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home