Thursday, September 27, 2007

I'm preparing myself for a month without driving privileges. I feel like I should take a long drive somewhere this weekend just for the sake of driving. Sunday will be the last day that I can "legally" drive. It didn't hit me how this would affect me initially. Now that I think about not being able to jump in the car and go whenever I want I feel crippled. I might have to hire a driver! Driving is another one of life's "luxuries" that we take for granted.

This whole DUI thing is really a nuisance. It's also expensive. Every step of the way it's another $75 here and a $100 there. The legal system has created an entire industry based on the legal blood alcohol limit of .08. The state gets fine money, the attorney gets their fee, the evaluation service gets their fee, the rehab center gets their fee and of course the insurance company gets their piece of the action. Think of all the people who would be unemployed if they raised the legal blood alcohol limit to .15 (the actual amount considered to impair a driver). The economy is bad enough, I guess we don't need more people out of work, HA!

I'm not a very good passenger, I almost never ride with someone else. I prefer to drive. The next 30 days might make me a better passenger. It might make me a better person. I have always been very independent...to a fault at times. I guess you could say that I've never been a very good "passenger" in life. I always want to drive! I like to be in control. I don't consider myself a control freak, well, not really. I don't try to control others, I just like to be in control of my happenings. Yet, I think at times I have indirectly controlled someone else. That is wrong. I have to think about this more. This is what I love about writing my rambling thoughts down, it makes me look at myself objectively. Can you look at yourself objectively? It seems like an oxymoron to be objective about yourself. I'm going to give it a go.

Well, now I'm going to be very dependent on someone to get around to do my thing. I can salvage my independence to a degree by walking or riding my bicycle. I'm sure I'll be doing some of that over the next few weeks. Oh well, it's only a month... that is if the courts grant my request for a work permit to drive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home